Southwestern White Bean Soup

I am not a fan of chili, I don't know why - maybe I ate too much of it as a kid. Even though this soup has 'chili' in its name - it is so different from a traditional chili.

It is also getting warmer out, but we had a cold spell this weekend and I was also a little under the weather. So I felt obliged to make a soup - and this is one of my favorites. It has a nice spice to it because I use the hot green chilies. I also grilled the chicken because I think it adds so much flavor to the chicken, but if you don't have a grill just cook it on the stove top.  

Ingredients:
1 lb grilled chicken
Olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 onions, chopped
1 1/2 Tbs cumin
2 Tbs chili powder
8 oz diced green chilies
2 quarts of chicken broth
2 can Great Northern white beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup cilantro
1 Tbs lime juice
1 cup small pasta (I use orzo)
grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
1) Either saute the chicken breasts in olive oil or grill them. Cube, set aside
2) In a large pot, cook onion for 5 minutes, add garlic and cook another ~3 minutes until the onions are translucent. 
3) Add cumin, chili powder, green chilies, chicken broth, beans, and pasta. And salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 10-15 minutes. 
4) Add chicken to the pot and cook until chicken is warm. 
5) Add half and half, cilantro and lime juice. 
6) Serve and top with cheddar cheese.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiger Stripe Brownies

Curry Chicken in the Crockpot

EASY Beef Stroganoff