Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

My brother's favorite pie. He used to make my mom make this for him all the time. For his 29th birthday I decided to make one for him. Boy was he happy!

The sweetness of the sugar mixed with the tart of the rhubarb is to die for. Since I want to fit into my wedding dress I didn't make one for myself, but afterwards I really regretted that decision. 

This pie is pretty heavy so I would recommend using a sturdy pie dish. Not the flimsy ones you can toss out afterwards.


Ingredients:
1 recipe of the Pie Crust
1 lb of Rhubarb, diced
1 lb of strawberries, diced
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca 
2 TBs unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400. Roll 1 piece of the dough out and place in the bottom of the pie pan. Roll to about a 12-inch circle.
2) Mix together: strawberries, rhubarb, sugars, lemon, salt and tapioca into a large bowl. Place into the pie pan. Dice up the butter and place on top of this. 
3) Roll out the second pie crust to 12 inches and place on top. Using your thumb make decorative thumbprints around the edge. Then place about 5-10 slits in the crust. (see pictures below)
4) Mix together the egg yolk and 1 tsp water then brush on top of the pie.
5) Cook at 400 for 20 min, and then reduce temp to 350 and bake for another 25-30 min. Until the top is golden. 
6) Transfer pie to a wire rack, let it cool and the juices harden.

Keeps for about 3 days at room temp.

Recipe from Smitten Kitchen






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiger Stripe Brownies

Curry Chicken in the Crockpot

EASY Beef Stroganoff